An adult and two children have tested positive for the bacteria E. coli after eating at a Red Robin Gourmet Burgers and Brews in Westminster.

Two of the three had to be hospitalized, according to a Tri-County Health Department news release.

Google Streetview
Red Robin at 799 W. 146th Ave. in Westminster.

On Tuesday, health officials inspected the restaurant, at 799 W. 146th Ave., after receiving information about the outbreak from the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment. The inspection found multiple food safety violations, and Red Robin management voluntarily closed the restaurant Wednesday, the release said.

Critical health violations included improper employee washing of hands, improper cleaning and sanitizing of food preparation surfaces, and cross contamination between raw meats and other prepared foods, health officials said.

The location was shut down for a thorough cleaning and sanitizing, food safety training and testing of food handlers. Tri-County will conduct food safety training to ensure violations have been corrected before a reopening.

“We recently became aware of a health issue at our Orchard Town Center location in Westminster,” the company said in a written statement. “We believe this is an isolated incident and are working with the Tri-County Health Department to conduct a thorough investigation at this location.”

Red Robin said it takes “these concerns very seriously” and that its restaurants “maintain rigorous food safety standards and procedures nationwide.”

The restaurant chain’s first priority is the well-being of customers and employees, the release said.

The E. coli strain has been identified as O157:H7, according to the Tri-County release.

“E. coli can be found in raw or undercooked meats, contaminated fruits and vegetables, unpasteurized milk or juice and in the stool of people who are infected,” said Ashley Richter, a Tri-County staffer. Investigators have not determined the source of the outbreak.

Symptoms emerge from one to 10 days after ingesting the bacteria. Diarrhea, which could be bloody, severe stomach pain, fever and vomiting are among symptoms. Some people, especially children, can develop a life-threatening condition that requires hospitalization.

Anyone who ate at the Red Robin since June 1 and became ill with E. coli symptoms should contact a doctor or health care provider to consider testing, the release said. An investigation is ongoing.