Gov. Jared Polis is expected to give an update on the state’s response at 10:30 a.m. Watch the update below.
As coronavirus restrictions loosen, experts worry that people are still too nervous to be out in public even when they need to be. Denver-area hospitals reported that emergency room visits were down between 30% to 50% in April, meaning people might not be getting the medical care they need for fear of getting coronavirus at a hospital.
As the state continues to reopen under “safer at home” guidelines, the last four Colorado counties with no reported COVID-19 cases search for ways to keep their communities safe while some think a lack of testing is the reason they have no reported cases.
In Colorado’s latest coronavirus update, the statewide death toll rose to 1,215 as current hospitalizations reached the lowest point since the end of March.
Throughout the day, we will share the latest coverage from Denver Post journalists on the coronavirus outbreak on this page. Also, bear in mind The Denver Post relies on support from its readers to provide this in-depth coverage of the coronavirus outbreak, so please consider buying a subscription if you haven’t already.
Here are the updates from May 17.
- “Where are the heart attacks?” Denver doctors worry people are waiting too long for help because of coronavirus fears
- Meet the Littleton nurses battling the coronavirus at work and raising two young kids at home
- “A sense of bravery rather than of fear”: South Metro firefighters work on through the coronavirus pandemic
- Hospitals, health care sector reel from COVID-19 financial damage
- Denver gyms are preparing to reopen. Here’s how they plan to get you sweating safely.
- More symptoms, no slam-dunk drugs: What we now know — and still don’t know — about the coronavirus
- These Colorado cities and counties require masks be worn in public places
- These Colorado counties have extended their stay-at-home orders
- Frequently asked questions about coronavirus in Colorado
- Coronavirus timeline: An in-depth look at COVID-19 in Colorado
- Colorado coronavirus map: Where are cases being reported?
- Colorado unemployment FAQ: How to apply, details about missing PINs and more
- Do I have the coronavirus? Here’s what to do if you’re not sure.
- Colorado coronavirus housing FAQ: Resources for renters and homeowners
- How social distancing works and what it means for you
- Inside Colorado’s growing anti-shutdown movement