At about 9:30 PM on Sunday December 13, 2020, officers assigned to District A-1 (Downtown) conducted a follow-up investigation to a prior incident of domestic violence during which an adult female victim was seriously injured at a residence in Boston. On arrival at the address, officers made contact with the adult male suspect who had barricaded himself inside his apartment and refused to surrender. As the officers continued to speak through the door with the suspect, he stated that he intended on harming himself with a knife. When the officers attempted to force entry, the suspect used an aerosol can and a lighter to fashion a torch, sending flames towards the officers. The suspect then made statements that he intended to burn the officers as well as the building and everyone residing within it. Left without any other recourse, the officers physically forced the door open in order to disarm the suspect at which time a violent struggle ensued in the darkened room with the suspect punching and kicking the officers while spitting at them. As the officers attempted to gain control of the suspect, he grabbed the handle of an officer’s department issued firearm while repeatedly yelling that he intended to take the weapon and shoot the officers. The officer was able to retain possession of his firearm and the suspect was eventually placed into handcuffs although he continued to violently resist before being placed in a prisoner transport wagon with the assistance of numerous responding officers.

The suspect was later transported and admitted at a local area hospital for an evaluation. As a result, the suspect will be arraigned at later date in Boston Municipal Court on the initial charge of Assault and Battery (209A) and will be summonsed on charges of Assault and Battery by Means of a Dangerous Weapon (4 Counts), Assault and Battery on a Police Officer (4 Counts) and Arson of a Dwelling stemming from his arrest.

Two of our officers sustained non-life-threatening injuries as a result of the incident. They were transported to a local area hospital for treatment of their injuries and have since been released.