The Boston Police Department would like to welcome incoming college students to the City of Boston. To help ensure your safety while living in a city area, we would like to offer the following tips:
· Tour the campus during the day to familiarize yourself with the facilities and the locations of emergency phones.
· Tell a friend or roommate where you’re going before venturing out.
· Avoid leaving your electronics, school bag or other belongings unattended.
· Report suspicious people or vehicles to the police. See something, say something.
· Avoid walking alone especially at night & try to have someone with you.
· Travel along well-lit paths rather than taking shortcuts through side streets and alleyways.
· Be alert of your surroundings. Remove your headphones and secure your phone in your phone.
· Keep your keys out when walking to your vehicle, dorm or apartment.
· Lock all doors and windows when you’re sleeping or away from your room.
· Never invite strangers into your apartment or residence hall.
· Document the serial numbers on your electronics. Knowing these numbers could make the items easier to locate if stolen.
· Lock apps on your cell phone in case it is stolen or lost to prevent unauthorized withdrawals or charges.
· Only drink if you’re of legal age, and do so responsibly. Pour your own beverages, keep track of your glass and arrange for a designated driver or taxi to take you home.
For more safety tips, see bpdnews.com/tips/